Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wealthy Beyond Imagination


From My Journal, May 26th, 2010
Proverbs 1-3, Romans 7
Scripture: Proverbs 1:19
So are the ways of everyone who is greedy for gain;
It takes away the life of its owners.

Observation:I was driving yesterday and there was a song on the radio with repetitive lyrics along the theme of “I want to be rich”. By the wonders of Google, I have discovered that this is sung by an artist with the name “Calloway” and the words (and title of the song) are in fact “I wanna be rich”. Anyway – it got me to thinking about:
  • How rich is rich enough,
  • Am I rich enough,
  • How would being rich be different, and so on.
I came to the conclusion that we are always comparing against others. I am rich in worldly terms – from various statistics I have heard quoted, probably somewhere in the top 10%, maybe 5% (or better) of world population in terms of material wealth. Not bad huh – so why don’t I feel rich. Because when I compare what I have amassed against that of others – and someone will always have a bigger pile.

So in simply material terms, am I rich enough – the answer would have to be yes. But if I were even richer, well then – I could have MORE stuff – but I don’t have room for all my stuff now – especially the stuff I never use, so I would need a bigger house – and so the futile striving continues… how long until the absurdity of this sinks in?

What if I measured wealth differently? Do I measure wealth differently? I think in part I do, but part of me still likes to compare also.

Do I measure wealth by the love I have known – from my wife, my children, my family and my friends. If I was to do this and this alone, I would know how wealthy I really am.
But better yet than this, I know the love of God. I know that:
"God's care for humanity was so great that he sent his unique Son among us, so that those who count on him might not lead a futile and failing existence, but have the undying life of God Himself."
(John 3:16 Dallas Willard translation)

Because I know this, I have life – my life is not being taken away.

Because God created me for the primary purpose of relationship with Him. The fall damaged this, the fall alienated me from God, from His creation, from other people – even from myself. But through Jesus, these broken relationships are restored - forever.

Praise God!

Action:So more counting my blessings – and less comparing to others. That’s it really.
And maybe a different song in my head – one of my favorite lyrics from “By Your Side” by Tenth Avenue North…

Why are you still searching, as if I’m not enough
Prayer:Lord, help me not only to realize how rich I am, but to act like I am rich and give what makes me wealthy away.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
When it is in the power of your hand to do so.
Proverbs 3:27.

No comments:

Post a Comment